Monday, November 17, 2008

Yogurt Making Adventures


After being away I suspect it will take a little bit for me to get my blogging groove to return - in the meantime I thought I would share some short posts and just let you know some of the things that have been eating up my time. I have learned to make yogurt!!! Really - I know that sounds nuts to some of you, but in my continued effort to change our family over to a healthier way of eating in 2008 I have determined to cut out artificial sweetener and make things from scratch with whole foods and wholesome ingredients where I am able.
I have been baking all year and have only bought a few bags of hot dog and hamburger buns from the store. I keep fresh baked muffins (now made with homemade yogurt) in the freezer for The Principal to take for breakfast at the office - now I am sending him with yogurt for dessert at lunch. I do have to tell you he was VERY skeptical but told me just this evening how much more he likes my yogurt than the store bought. I have made peach yogurt with fresh peaches that I froze back in the summer and have pureed them to flavor the yogurt and then used either agave nectar or pure maple syrup to sweeten it. I have also made sour cherry vanilla and sour cherry almond both using sour cherry preserves that we got when we were in Amish Country last fall - all have which have been great!!
This machine was just over $20 and whips up a one quart batch of yogurt in 4 - 6 hours depending on your tartness preferences. It really is easy and oh so much healthier. The adventures around here never end.......

Learning as I go,

Leisha

5 comments:

bippity boppity becca said...

so is it really worth it to buy the machine? I've made yogurt twice using the crock pot method. The kids liked the first batch, but the second was a little running. I don't eat it, but the kids love yogurt. What do you use to make it in the machine?

Lisa Laree said...

Ok. I'm impressed!

Buffi Young said...

Ok...wow....you are like "the bomb"!!!! Unfortunately....my family isn't eating as healthy! You go girl!!! I'd need to be rich like Oprah and HIRE someone to do all that for me. That is SO not my thing!!! Wish it was....I really admire that you can do it!!! Now yall are eatin' SO HEALTHY!!!! Way to go girl!!!
Love ya,
Buffi

Unknown said...

You mean the machine makes yogurt, not the frozen variety.?? I didn't know such a thing existed. Hmmmm.....

Jess said...

Out with the recipe already. I need to know it so my yogurt can be as good as yours. I just stopped doing it all together. Where did you get your machine?????

Swidget 1.0 7